Friday, October 24, 2008

Review: The Club Dumas

by Arturo Perez-Reverte

I had a really hard time getting in to the book. I started it about a month ago, but the first 90 or so pages were slow and failed to engage my attention. However, after that when I finally when back to the book, the pace picked up and I quickly finished reading it.

So, basically it is a mystery. The lead character Corso works in the book business. The main drive of the story revolves around him traveling in Europe to find out if The Book of the Nine Doors(supposedly a guide to summoning the devil) is authentic. At the same time, he is also doing a favor for one of his friends, and trying to determine the authenticity of a chapter from The Three Muskateers. What do Dumas and demonology have in common? Well, that is exactly what Corso is left wondering throughout most of the book.

The Club Dumas is full of literary history, random obscure facts, scandals, betrayals, and the occult. I almost didn't like the end, and was completely prepared to write that the only good part was the middle, but the very last page sort of redeemed the book for me, though I still feel that the strongest section as far as plot, pacing, and general interest is the middle chapters.

No comments:

Post a Comment