Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Things One Sees on T.V.

For some time now, I have been reading Poppy Z. Brite's blog. She happens to be one of my favorite authors, though I prefer her earlier books and stories to more recent writings. Anyway, she is now Catholic*, and along with many other parishioners in New Orleans has been attending a vigil to keep one of the churches there open**.

Ok, I've known about this awhile, and also knew that she was arrested earlier this month b/c the Archbishop decided that it was important to have the police pulled away from more pressing things (oh, like investigating murders***) to arrest a few people that weren't really doing anything except refusing to leave a church.

Well, here I was watching the CBS evening news, and then there was Poppy Z. Brite being led away in handcuffs. Obviously, they are a little behind seeing as how the actual arrests were weeks ago, but I was rather surprised. Most of the story however, was devoted to vigils in Boston rather than in N.O. Just thought it was interesting thats all.



*which might come as a surprise for people who know her for such things as Exquisite Corpse.
** yes, I know, all these details are vague, but if you are curious just use Google.
*** N.O - one of, if not the, highest murder rates per capita.

No comments:

Post a Comment