Tuesday, March 17, 2009

A Soldiers' Pay

"Faulkner wrote Soldiers’ Pay while living in New Orleans in 1925, but much of the inspiration for the novel dates back to the time of the war. When the United States entered the war, Faulkner eagerly tried to join the U.S. Army as a pilot, but he was turned down because of his small size. Dismayed but undeterred, he adopted a British persona and joined the Royal Air Force as a cadet in Canada, but before he could finish flight training, the war ended, thus robbing Faulkner of the chance to achieve a hero’s status in the skies over Europe." http://www.mcsr.olemiss.edu/~egjbp/faulkner/n-sp.html

Later on on this website, it says that Faulkner was published in the Times-Picayune; the newspaper in S. La. Having read that paper my whole life, I find it really really hard to associate William Faulkner with it, but whatever....
This was just a note to say that I actually am serious in my challenge to myself to read 9 books by him. And yes, I am every so slowly working my way through this first one.

No comments:

Post a Comment