Thursday, September 24, 2009

Toronto

Went to the annual Ukrainian festival in Toronto last weekend. Super fun, had an amazing time. The festival itself was ok. We were there a lot, but really were only paying attention to one band - which was Ludy Dobri. They are from Ukraine, from Lviv actually and play traditional Ukrainian folk music with a modern twist. We met them last year and hung out a bit. It was kind of strange to see them in Canada, but not as weird as I thought it would be. I did see a few of the other performers. A couple of dance groups who were apparently not very good - I have no standard to judge them by b/c I know next to nothing about Ukrainian dancing. The best part really was that I got to see a lot of people that I met this summer and several people that I met last summer. This is the largest Ukie festival in North America so "everyone" tends to be there - at least everyone who is important :) Ok, that isn't exactly true, but my basic point is that I was excited to hang out with people that I otherwise would probably never have seen again. Pictures and video and all that fun stuff to be posted on Facebook at some point in time - possibly tonight. I might write a more extended version on the other blog seeing as how I was actually supposed to be doing fieldwork while there for my folklore class. I think it was all participation with zero observation this time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment