Monday, September 13, 2010

Review: Daybreakers

I am going to keep this short.*  I really liked this movie.  I know pop culture is over saturated with vampires these days in all forms - sparkly, law enforcing, vicious, loveable, children, etc.  But here is what I loved about Daybreakers.

It shamelessly exploits every vampire myth you ever heard of.  Stab them through their heart - check.  Sunlight is deadly - check.  Can't see one in the mirror - check.  Cut off their heads - check.  However, it takes all these predictable elements and wraps them up in an almost Marxian social commentary mixed with some original characteristics that you would have never thought of.**

Things I didn't like***: the bloodbath scenes that were utterly unnecessary; the fact that there will almost definitely be a sequel; the lack of a back-story -- how did all those people become vampires in the first place?  What sort of disease/epidemic causes vampirism? 

4/5 Stars


*mostly b/c I suck at writing reviews.
** or at least I wouldn't have, but I'm not a writer
*** in order from most annoying to least

3 comments:

  1. I want to watch this movie, but missed it in the theater...I'm still looking for the DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never even heard of this movie before, but it sounds interesting. I will have to see if I can watch it at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad someone else felt the bloody scenes were wayyyy overdone. I have a fairly strong stomach, always have, but it got to the point where I was feeling rather ill and just started to fast forward.

    Surely there had to be another way they could show what they were trying to without...that.

    ReplyDelete