Wednesday, September 15, 2010

You Should Watch This

By now most of you probably know about my semi-obsession with the band DakhaBrakha.  I personally think they are the most amazing Ukrainian band I have ever heard.*  They play mostly what I would call "folk" music, but what they refer to as "ethno-chaos."  I wrote a paper about them for my ethnomusicology class, so I have both an academic and a personal interest. 

Anyway, the point of all of this is to say that you should watch this video:
http://vimeo.com/14950124

The song and the video are both beautiful.  Sorry, I don't off the top of my head have a translation for the title, nor can I tell you what the song is about exactly.  If I thought about it more I would tell you about how the imagery and the lyrics (in other songs) have clear connections to Romantic Nationalism, modernity, nostalgia, and avant garde**.  But not today.  I will add, however, that I find the video a tad bit creepy, especially starting around 4:50. 

Enjoy!!

*But never seen - they have a tendency to be in places either right before or right after I am there.  It is very sad.  Although, I did see Nina (if you watch the video she is the girl with the braids) in L'viv during the summer. 
**The band originated at the Center for Contemporary Arts in Kyiv (DAKH). 

No comments:

Post a Comment