Sunday, August 24, 2008

Oh, the weekend

I have for several months now, very much wanted a white skirt, but a long flowy one. Unfortunately just b/c I desire it so much, there is no store anywhere that carries the kind I want. My friend's suggestion - lets make skirts! Ok, sure sounds like a great idea, but first off she doesn't know how to sew (no offense to her, its just what she insists on pointing out all the time), and second I can sew, but only simple things, and def. not using patterns - I am map and pattern illiterate. When sewing I just tend to kinda stumble around until I figure out something that works for me. Making a skirt however, of the kind I want, requires some semblance of a pattern. So I looked online, find some ideas, mostly for a type called a "circle skirt", but really liked the variation called "pixie skirt" b/c the hem hangs unevenly. Well I had some fabric lying around with which I was going to make curtains, but didn't, and decided to practice before I went out and bought nice white fabric (a task for tomorrow). I couldn't finish it just yet, b/c the instructions online say due to something called "bias" I have to let it hang a bit before I hem it. Basically, now it isn't finished, and I don't know if I will wear b/c the color is a bit bright, but here is a picture.
anyway, its not perfect, but once I hem it I think it will be pretty decent figuring its the first one I ever made.
Also this weekend, I went to a festival, but that is chronicled on the other blog, I had brunch with some friends b/c it was and is their birthdays, and now I have been talked into planning a joint birthday celebration for the friend whose b-day was today. Which is fun in a way b/c its at her house, not mine, so I won't be doing the clean up (just kidding, I promise to help out). On the other hand, while we have an overlapping circle of friends, there are some people she might want there that I don't know, and people I might know, but she doesn't. I'm thinking of making up a nice word doc., some sort of pretty invitation (you know b/c it really isn't necessary to clean one's apt. or study a foreign language, or apply for grant money...I just have soo much free time!), but not sure yet.

So, Monday I go shopping for fabric, Tuesday I have a meeting, and then hurray my friends I met in Ukraine will be here, and after that all is downhill b/c I have more meeting and then school. Egg-citing!

No comments:

Post a Comment