Sunday, October 4, 2009

ДахаБраха

Title refers to a Ukrainian band - in the Latin alphabet that would be DakhaBrakha. I thought I'd post something about them b/c:
a) they are good
b) they are Ukrainian
c) I found a new favorite song and finally
d) b/c I cannot sleep.
I slept late this morning, but only b/c I couldn't sleep
last night. I woke up in the middle of the night after this horrible nightmare that I was at my grandmother's house and a plane crashed into it. No one died or anything, it was just extremely vivid. I had a few other weird dreams as well.

Anyway, more about the band...
I would classify them as "ethno-rock" or "folk-rock" - they classify themselves as "ethno-chaos." Not sure what that category means, but basically they reinterpret Ukrainian and East European folk music with their own very unique style. They are from Kyiv and affiliated with a Contempory Arts center there DAKH*. Their theater background is probably obvious from their shows, but I have never seen them in concert. I only learned about the band this summer, though apparently my friends saw them last summer at a festival. For more information, here is their website.

In other news,...oh, wait there isn't any other news. Not really, not anything of interest. However, I managed to be fairly productive today. Graded all the mulitiple choice tests. I hope my students aren't the only ones who had a hard time. Checked out a million books from the library b/c I have decided to become interested in Critical Theory. Hm..and that is about it besides wrestling with some Russian text that I needed to put online for my classmates, which I cannot read so really have zero clue if I copied the correct pages (microfiche were invented by a sadist or a lunatic).

So, goodnight. I am still wide awake, but hopefully all the rest of you are sleeping peacefully!


*A clue to where their name comes from, but also Dakha Brakha in Old Slavonic means "to give" and "to take". In modern Ukrainian, it would be "Daty" (дати- to give) and "Braty" (брати - to take). From their website:
The meaning of “giving” is obvious - to give music, joy, celebration, the whole spectrum of emotions, feelings and reflections that fresh music and singing bring with itself.
But where “to take” from? The energy can be taken not only from a native “source” but from anywhere...
Modern ethnic music needs a sort of reconstruction and in a way it means to search roots, to move back in time. But if one belongs to the urban culture and has no initial experience of the traditional life, how can he find these roots?

No comments:

Post a Comment