Thursday, September 2, 2010

R.I.P. Challenge: Peril the First

Read four books in any of the following categories (or whatever you might think is "scary"):

Mystery.
Suspense.
Thriller.
Dark Fantasy.
Gothic.
Horror.
Supernatural.


Despite advice (sorry Carl) to just read one book, I can't help it, I have to go with the 4 book challenge.  I have a few scattered wishlists on various sites, so I decided to go through them to compile pool of potential reads.  


 
Serial killers? Sounds like Halloween to me.


I have heard a lot about this one from various people, and I like many of her other books, so I am hoping it will be as good as everyone has said it is. 









Last year I had City of Saints and Madmen on the list.  I never managed to read it.  I am determined to read Vandermeer one day.







This one is at my house right now, so it is a pretty likely candidate.  Also another book I have heard a lot about. 








Berserk by Tim Lebbon: Not posting the cover because it is too creepy and too late at night right now for me to look at it.  Probably makes it a good choice.

Not sure if this one totally counts, but then again it is a mystery and there are some seriously evil bad guys.  On the other hand, I did start it before the challenge, so maybe that is cheating. 






And as for Peril on Screen, the movie challenge, the next film up on my queue is Daybreakers.

2 comments:

  1. I want to read Kraken. I should see if my library has it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reviews of Kraken, especially on Amazon, have been pretty mixed. Maybe b/c people aren't used to an author changing styles/genres so radically. I think in terms of language the book is very Mieville, but the story is so different from his other works - especially from The City and The City which has gotten so much praise. I would definitely recommend it. I think it is smart, funny, and pretty original.

    ReplyDelete