Monday, September 1, 2008

Update from the Northshore

So far, what I have heard is that it wasn't that bad. My friends in St. Tammany Parish don't have power, but say the storm wasn't too terrible. I think I am more nervous b/c I am not there, and just have a bit of an overreaction to hurricanes now after Katrina, and I should remember that I have in fact lived through a couple of Cat. 2 storms.

My mom in MS says they are fine, they in fact still have power, but its still hard to get in touch with people in St. Tammany Parish, namely my father and brother.

Did you know fact of the day: 2 million people evacuated Southern La. That is a lot of people!

Still a bit worried about my friends closer to Lafayette, they were really close to the eye of the storm, but again it has seriously weakened, so they should be fine. Fingers crossed.

Updated to add: There was just a tornado warning near my family in Mississippi, so they aren't out of it yet. Still haven't heard from dad or my brother. In Plaquemines Parish, the water has overtopped the levee, but it is not breached. They are dumping sand and putting up sandbags, but even some places in St. Bernard are getting flooded. Pretty serious, as water is also going under a lock there.
Water was earlier coming over the seawall in Mandeville, its pretty low lying and tends to flood, but I'm not sure how serious of a situation that it currently.
Baton Rouge got perhaps the worst wind of the storm. Gusts up to 91mph. They showed some scenes near LSU and it looked pretty bad with trees down everywhere, and that was before the main part of the storm had even passed through.
And yes, I promise that I have been doing other things than constantly watching the news.

2 comments:

  1. Glad things are looking okay! Watched some film from Channel 6 down there (it's on directv) as they showed water sloshing over the canal wall. Glad the thing scaled back before hitting!

    And glad you are doing something other than obsessing over the hurricane news!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I managed to get quite a few things completed for 104. All importantly, I updated my CV, gasp! :)

    ReplyDelete